About the job
If you need assistance during the recruiting process due to a disability, please reach out to our Recruiting Accommodations Team through the Accommodation Request form . This form is used only by individuals with disabilities who require assistance or adjustments in applying and interviewing for a job. This form is not for inquiring about a position or the status of an application.
Are you passionate about solving complex problems and interested in the scalability of tech products to millions of users? Excited about being part of an inclusive and impactful culture? Join us at Expedia Group and contribute to innovative projects that are reshaping the future of travel.
By joining the Expedia Group 2024 Global Summer Internship Program as a Software Development Engineering Intern you’ll fully integrate into our inclusive community and gain a well-rounded experience of life at Expedia Group. Our global program offers an exciting opportunity to contribute to business-critical projects by developing your skills through tailored learning and training, providing ongoing support, and offering insightful intern-specific events to build knowledge and community .
Our Engineering Roles:
Expedia Group Has Multiple Engineering Specializations. The s Pecializations We Could Be Hiring For Are Below. You Will Have The Opportunity To Express Interest In Any Of These Specializations During The Application Process
- Core Development - Core Development: Design and launch Front End, Back End, and Full Stack solutions impacting critical business systems.
- Data Engineering - Design scalable, cloud-native solutions with a focus on DevOps and automation.
- Machine Learning Engineering - Build ML systems focusing on software engineering principles like CD/CI and code stability and put these ML models into production
- UX Engineering - Focus on dynamic user experience (UX) while also keeping performance at the forefront
Internship Program Highlights
- Onboarding: Connect with your cohort, receive support, and set up for success in your first week
- Intern Bootcamp: Role-specific technical and professional skills learning, both in-person and virtual, delivered in your first week to help you get set up for success
- Meaningful work and projects: Interns join a variety of Expedia Group teams and directly contribute to business workstreams and priorities; at the conclusion of the internship interns present their work to team members and senior leadership
- Learning Series: Interactive workshops delivered by our Learning team to build professional & soft skills, and support development, including topics such as personal branding and presentation skills
- Leadership Series: Exclusive intern-only events with our Travel Leadership Team leaders to learn about their career journeys, hear their views on industry and company trends and ask questions!
- Social events: Regular fun events organized for each regional cohort so you can get to know others, enjoy the Expedia Group culture, and enjoy some downtime!
- Mentorship: Mentors are assigned to each individual intern to support your development and learning throughout the program and are also a great way to build your understanding and network at EG.
- Support: Coaching and advice, provided by managers, team navigators (buddies) and a specific point of contact per region from Emerging Talent & Careers.
What You’ll Do
Travel is so much more than simply reaching your destination. Along the journey, you'll utilize your technical skills in our agile environment to develop next-generation technologies through our web applications and e-commerce sites. You will be empowered to make an immediate impact by creating high-volume, scalable solutions and work with teams to iterate on features quickly and efficiently. From the back-end supply and database functions to new user interfaces for more than 140 branded travel sites, there is no shortage of opportunity for technical innovation at Expedia Group.
- Work closely with your immediate team for questions and concerns; connect with your manager and dedicated mentor to answer questions
- You will be comfortable with common developer tools and can use them with assistance (e.g., GitHub or an IDE)
- Demonstrate an aptitude to learn and apply basic software engineering concepts like design principles, algorithms, and code composition.
- Understand the basic business reasons for a given feature or project.
- Understand the major components of a team's design by asking questions of teammates.
- Respond to queries via work approved tools (email, Slack, Excel, etc )
- Improve coding abilities by being introduced to new tools and programming languages.
- Work in a fast-paced workplace to produce high-quality software.
Who You A Re
We know that many potential candidates can be hesitant to apply for a job if they aren't sure that they meet all the criteria shared. If you meet all the criteria labelled ‘ Must ’ and are interested in this role, we encourage you to apply!
- Must be a vailable to commit to the full program dates : June 2 4 th , 202 4 - August 30 , 202 4
- Must be graduating with an undergraduate or integrated master’s degree in a technical subject ( e.g. Computer Science, Information Technology etc. ) between December 202 4 and July 202 5
- Must be w illing to r elocate to c ity of j ob l ocation if outside commuting distance
- Must commit to full time hours every week
- Must have no more than 2 years of professional experience in a similar role
- Helpful to be familiar with basic concepts of at least one programming or scripting language ( e.g. Java, C/C++, Python, C#)
- Helpful to have knowledge of data structures, algorithms and OOP concepts
- Helpful to have e ffective communication skills and the ability to engage with a variety of partners (e.g., internal, external, technical, non-technical people)